CALCIUM AND GOOD HEALTH
We all know that calcium is important for our health and well-being. This week while surfing on the Internet, we have found two articles completely different and with opposite points of view on the subject:
- one stating that milk can cause cancer
- the other that a milk diet will make us get thinner
At Baci di Dama, we decided to try to make things clearer and easier.
It is true that man is the only living being that as an adult drinks the milk from another animal but stating that milk can cause serious disease, it is a way too much for our tastes…
Milk is not the only source of calcium: in Eastern countries they are not used to drink it and there are few cases of osteoporosis. This happens because we can also eat other products that are rich in calcium such as:
- tap water (it is also eco-friendly as in this way we don’t waste any plastic or glass 😉
- leafy vegetables (rocket, chard, dandelion…)
- pulses and beans
- dried nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts…)
- fresh aromatic herbs (parsley, sage, mint…)
It’s always important not to exaggerate.
Also, to let our body absorb calcium properly, we need vitamin D.
But where do we find it?
Well, all we need is the sun to kiss our skin. And if the sun is not showing up, vitamin D can be find in some food like salmon, sardine, eggs and cheese.
Next time we eat calcium, let’s make sure not to forget to get some vitamin D as well.